By Mrs Penny Dyer
A special memory for a daughter of one of our young men who was killed in action in 1943 during the second world war. We were contacted by Neil Baugh former pupil and current choir group member, informing us that he had been speaking with a lady in his community, who said her father attended Wandsworth School, in the 1930s. Sadly she never met her father as she was only 1-year old when he was killed in action. Mrs Penny Dyer, sent us details of her father, Pilot Officer Charles William Valentine Pepper, who was born in Putney on the 14th February 1920. With this information (Les Herbert) was able to investigate and manged to find her father’s war grave certificate, which was on the Commonwealth and War Graves Commission Website. He was also able to find some details about her father’s final flight on a bombing raid. Pilot Officer Charles Pepper was killed in action along with 6 crew members on the 3rd March 1943. All this information along with his photo is now connected to his name on the Roll of Honour webpage.
Charles WV Pepper was killed in Action during a flight bombing raid, destination Hamburg. The following was found on a RAF website naming his flight and crew…
Flight of Sterling Mark 1 EF329 BU-C, 3rd March 1943. Take off was at 18-19hrs from Chedburgh Air Base. The target was Hamburg. Aircraft was hit by Flak and crashed at 22-10hrs over Leesle, 9km South of Bremen.
Crew of Sterling Mark 1 EF329 BU-C consisted of:
• Sgt Ronald Sidney Allen, 901540 Air Bomber, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, KIA Aged 24.
• Sgt Alfred Cridge, 412867, Royal New Zealand Air Force, Nationality New Zealand, KIA Aged 22.
• Sgt Morris Felce, 1161, Flight Engineer, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, Nationality: United Kingdom, KIA.
• Sgt F Manglesen, Royal New Zealand Air Force, Nationality New Zealand, POW 3rd March 1943.
• Pilot Officer Charles Pepper, 138308, Pilot, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, Nationality: United Kingdom, KIA Aged 23.
• Sgt John Rider, 1219496, Air Gunner, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, Nationality: United Kingdom, KIA Aged 21.
• Sgt John Unsworth, 1073810, Wireless Operator/Air Gunner, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, Nationality: United Kingdom, KIA.